Brittons logo
  • Kings Lynn: 01553 692 828
  • Dersingham: 01485 541 843

Gas Safety Week 2021

Search for properties

To buy or to rent?

Property type

Minimum price

Maximum price

Minimum bedrooms

Mon 13 Sep 2021

Gas Safety Week 2021

This year's Gas Safety Week is running from 13 - 19 September.  Carbon monoxide – what do you need to know?

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas which has no taste, colour or smell. It can make you feel seriously ill and can kill quickly without warning.

What are the signs of a carbon monoxide leak?

Carbon monoxide can be produced when poorly maintained, incorrectly fitted or badly repaired appliances do not burn gas completely. Look out for the following signs that could indicate that a gas appliance is not working correctly, and CO may be present in the house:

• Floppy yellow or orange flame on your gas hob, rather than a crisp blue flame
• Dark, sooty staining on or around gas appliances
• Pilot lights that frequently blow out • Increased condensation inside windows

What are the physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

• Headache
• Nausea
• Dizziness
• Breathlesness
• Collapse

If you're suffering from any of the symptoms and feel better when you leave the house, it could be CO poisoning. If you're concerned you or someone in your household may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, make sure you do the following:

✓ Get fresh air immediately
✓ Open all doors and windows, switch off gas appliances and leave the house
✓ Contact your GP, who can check and advise if you need treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning
✓ If you're concerned there is immediate danger, call the gas emergency helpline on 0800 111 999 (mainland GB), 0800 002 001 (Northern Ireland) 

This year's Gas Safety Week is running from 13 - 19 September. The week-long annual campaign raises public awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances and is coordinated by Gas Safe Register. Now that you know the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, why not pass it on and share this important information with your family, friends and neighbours, to help them all stay Gas Safe?